Hickory Smoked Cream of Asparagus Soup
Smokey flavor mixed with the creaminess makes this a delicious Cream of Asparagus soup. Don’t let the green color turn you away. This plant powered dish will soon be a home favorite. Grilling the asparagus first gave it the smokey taste. Living a plant-based diet does not have to be boring. If you are a meat lover, feel free to zest or garnish with crispy low sodium low fat bacon. This soup pairs well with our Toast Points or French Bread.
- 2 bunches of asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp butter (vegan or unsalted for non-vegan)
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup almondmilk creamer (or heavy cream for non-vegan)
- HimalaSalt and Cracked Pepper, to taste
- First, fire up the grill (or use in-house grill). Add hickory chips in an aluminum pouch. Make small slits in pouch. Place pouch in grill.
- Next, trim ends of asparagus while the grill is heating up.
- Place asparagus on grill. Grill until grill marks appear.
- Heat up a large pot and melt butter over medium low heat. Then saute the onions until soften.
- Next add asparagus and vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 10 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- For this step you can use a hand blender or a blender like Ninja or Vitamix. Remove from heat. Add the almond milk creamer. Blend with puree attachment or in batches via your Vitamix blender until soup is creamy.
Serve HOT or if you like chilled soups serve chilled.
—PHYSICALLY UNIQUE DIVA—